larson jewelers

Monday, June 06, 2005

From April 26, 2005

I've been working to lose in excess of 100 lbs since February 1, 2005. I'm down almost 30 pounds already! My whole search for better health started when I went to the doctor for some rapid heartbeat problems that had recently arisen. They weren't stress related (they just happened frequently, sometimes when I'm resting, not necessarily when I walk upstairs or exercise). Anyhow, the problems are not serious and are being controlled with a tiny amount of medication. BUT, I really praise God for the problem as it brought our attention to a serious issue. My bloodwork showed that my blood sugar level was getting high. Not diabetic yet, but high enough to cause concern. So, by doctor's order "you must lose weight and get your sugar down"...he gave me simple guidelines to follow (soooo glad they are really SIMPLE!). No sugar (you can have a sliver on your birthday), no white - flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, no root vegetables. I embarked on this way of eating and have steadily lost 10 lbs a month. But about a month ago, I noticed that when I ate a raw meal (salad or veggies uncooked) I felt sooooo much better. Not sluggish and drained. I began experimenting with eating raw stuff...WOW! I had read about and wanted to buy Serene Allison's "Rejuvenate Your Life, Recipes for Energy" book, so I took the plunge and ordered it since I knew it was a raw food book. (book can be purchased from www.aboverubies.org) I am soooo excited about raw food living. I'm eating mostly raw now and feel so much better. No more heartburn! No more bloated, overstuffed feeling! Better sleeping! My PMS symptoms are so mild, where I usually have a lot of breast tenderness right now, there is NONE! I've asked for a veggie garden for Mother's Day and an Excalibur Dehydrator for my birthday in June. Our family also has a weightloss contest going, with weigh-in this weekend and it looks like I'm on track to win. I hope anyway, as the prize is $100 ($25 from each of the family members participating). In hindsight, I wouldn't want to do this again...only because it is not a race to lose weight...it should be a lifestyle change of the way we eat, not just losing weight to win a prize. For me, the biggest prize IS the weight released!!!

Oh, and you know what else is cool?? When you don't eat sugar, you don't crave sugar. It is so weird but I am happy to just SMELL most foods. It is satisfying to smell the vanilla in a fried banana topped with cream, the French Vanilla in my son's hot chocolate as he sits here beside me, the cinnamony fragrance of fresh apple pie. I don't have to eat it! I made some Rich Carob Bars from Serene's recipe book the other day and they are scrumptious...to me...but the rest of the family rather went "ummm, this is different, mom". I realized it's probably because it's been so long since I've had chocolate that the carob is a satisfying substitute and the fruit in the bars tastes satisfyingly sweet as well. Ahhh....satisfaction!

No comments:

 
Top DigiScrap Blogs